Saturday, October 1, 2016

A Letter to My Current and Future Friends

   I’m going to start this out by saying that I’m human. I’m going to mess up and let you down. I will try not to, but I will. I just hope that you will forgive me when I do. As I will try to forgive you when you mess up and let me down.
   I want you to know that I will care about you and do all I can for you. But, I need to think of myself as well. I cannot be a starving baker where I get to the point that I burn out. I need to take care of myself before I can take care of others.
   I also need you to understand that I will not do anything that will jeopardize my relationship with God for you. God comes first in my life. If you cannot handle that, or understand that, ask me about my relationship with him; and I promise to answer whatever questions you may have to the best of my ability. But, just because you ask questions that may be difficult for me to answer does not mean that you will dissuade me from my relationship with God. I love Christ because he first loved me, even when I was in darkness. I may not understand everything about him; but I will keep seeking him. And, seeking the answers to the questions I have about him. I also want you to know that I am glad I don’t know everything about him. Because, if I did he would not be God; and I would not want to worship him.
   I also want you to know that I have flaws. I’m annoying at times, I have a temper from time to time, I have a roller coaster of emotions, I can be really crazy at times, I also can be really impatient, I’m very critical of myself, I sometimes have a low self-esteem, I don’t smile much, and I seem like a pessimist on the outside.
   But, I’m also kind, loyal, intelligent, wise, an introvert, honest, and good at giving advice. I try to get to know my friends for who they are; and love them in the way they need to be loved. I try to understand who people are, their beliefs, and where they come from. Everything I do, I do for a reason. I try to give one hundred percent in all I say and do. And, though people think I’m a pessimist I try to be optimistic. This is not to toot my own horn, or to highlight my strengths. I’m just pointing out what others have told me my strengths are. And, trying to say there are reasons why I am the way I am today. If you stick around long enough you may find out what those reasons are.
   If you cannot accept me for who I am then you may as well leave right now. But, I will tell you that I cannot promise that I will not still think of you from time to time. I also cannot promise that I will not pray for you when I think of you.
   I want to tell you that if you do leave it may break my heart for a little; but, eventually, I will forgive you. I will not hold anything against you because it takes two people to have a relationship. And, it takes two people, or more, to have an argument.
   But, I make this promise to you: if you do leave and you ever find yourself in trouble, or in need, feel free to contact me. I cannot promise that I will be able to do what you ask of me, or that I will be there right away. But, I do promise that I will do what I can for you, even if it is only to pray for you.
   Friendships are not easy at times; but these are my promises to you. I pray that I will keep these promises. But, I apologize in advanced if I fail you. Above all I will respect you, and I hope that you will do the same for me.
   I know that God opens and closes doors. And, he just so happened to open up a door so that I would meet you. I’m so excited to get to know you; and go on the journey of life with you. I hope that through this experience both you and I grow.
   Your friend,
      Kaitlyn Scheuing
   Have you had any difficult friendships? I know I have, that’s why I wrote this letter. Is there anything you could do to mend those friendships? Do you have anything you need to apologize for when it comes to relationships? Are you willing to be selfless enough to help others no matter the cost?
   Matthew 22:36-40, John 15:13, Proverbs 27:17, 1 Peter 4:8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment