Thursday, October 6, 2016

Rejoicing Through the Pain of Loss: Remembering Esther Hennigh

   On September 27, 2016 I lost an amazing family member. My Aunt Esther went home to be with the Lord that day. It was hard to see her go; but I know she is much more comfortable now than she was here on earth. Esther was kind, caring, supporting, and loving. Not only was she my aunt; but she was also an amazing sister. And, on top of that, she was a caregiver for many years before retiring.
   Aunt Esther could be counted on to do many things when we came to visit. She was an amazing cook. And, she always found some way to put something healthy in everything we ate; but it still tasted good so it was okay. Esther always supported us in everything we did whether that be sports, musicals, or fundraisers. A fond memory I have of her, that happened many years, is sharing a birthday celebration with her. Every May we would go to her house and celebrate her birthday and mine; and each time a phenomenal cake would be made, or an ice cream cake would be bought. During Christmas time Esther would be sure to get everyone in the family practical gifts that were really cool, like ear warmers (I have sensitive ears okay?).
   Aunt Esther will be missed by many; but at the same time I rejoice in her going to be with her Father. Esther was in a lot of pain her last days on earth; but when she took her last breath she was able to be in peace in heaven.
   I don’t know about you, but I have lost a lot of people in my life. Every single person I have lost elicited some pain in my heart; but at the same time my heart rejoiced. You may ask why. And, the simple answer is because one day I will get to be with her. Aunt Esther knew Christ as her savior and so do I. Because we have that connection, we will get to see one another in heaven again. I am so excited for that moment because then I will have no more pain or sorrow. Instead I will be with my Father and family forever.
   What about you? Have you lost someone recently? Do you have confidence that you will be with that person again? If you don’t know Christ as your personal savior I encourage you to check out this link in order to become a member of God’s family. Then, one day, maybe we will meet and I can rejoice with you in heaven.
   John 14:1-4, Romans 8:16-17, Psalm 23:4

No comments:

Post a Comment