Saturday, October 8, 2016

Giving Up Control of the Remote

   One item that is always fought over in the Scheuing household is the remote. Many times we will get home from being out; and I will turn on the dining room tv to something my brother does not want to watch. Immediately my brother wills start yelling no. Eventually I will win; but when it comes to the living room that is another story.
   I may be watching something and then my dad will come home. He will put his work stuff away and then come into the living room. Then he will take the remote. I used to put up a fight; but I’ve realized that it is just better if I give up control of the remote to my father.
   That’s one thing humans don’t like doing: giving up control. I especially don’t like doing that when it comes to relationships. I am a fixer and a people pleaser. I’ve gotten a little better at not pleasing people; but when I hear a friend is in trouble I really want to fix whatever their problem is.
   Normally I am able to help at least a little. That is, until one day something happened to my friend. I asked her what I could do to help and she said “nothing.” I said, “nothing?” She nodded. It broke my heart to see her in such pain. I usually am able to write something, say something funny, or do something that caters to her love language to help cheer her up; but nothing worked. Have you ever felt so insignificant because you know there is nothing you can do to help someone you love? Yeah that was me.
   So, I watched her every day go through a silent battle, hiding her feelings so no one would know. And I wanted to comfort her. I wanted to change what happened but I couldn’t and that’s when I realized I had to give up control of the remote. I was the one who tried to change the channel to make my friend feel better; but no tv channel could do that. I had to give the remote to God because he was the only one who could help my friend through her problem.
   I prayed to God that he would help my friend with her problem. I prayed that he would help me learn that I cannot fix everything. The only thing I can do is trust in him and his control. And, even though it was hard, I watched my friend overcome her problem. She came out stronger than I ever would have expected because she leaned on God and not others. I guess I wasn’t the only one who gave up control of the remote.
   I have found that, even when it is hard, when I give up control to God amazing things happen that boggle my mind. Things that would not have happened if I would have gotten my tool belt out. So that’s why I try to give up control of the remote to God. I know I fail sometimes; but I also know that God’s will will come about no matter what. Besides, God’s tv channels are much better than any that I would choose.
   So are you unwilling to give up control to God? What can you do to give control to God?
   Proverbs 19:21, Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment