Saturday, January 5, 2019

A Little Encouragement Goes a Long Way

   Do you like to be encouraged or do you prefer to be criticized? This question reminds me of a meeting I had with my soccer team once when I was in college. We were a good team but we all felt something was missing. One of the captains called a meeting and we talked about how many times when we are on the field we are communicating but not encouraging one another. Then we discussed different ways we could encourage each other by writing notes, getting gifts, saying good things on the field, etc.
   I was still a younger player on the team and I was the goalie. Goalkeepers are notorious for being hard on themselves. I was especially hard on myself.
   One day we had a scrimmage against a good school. I was super nervous and I also injured my thumb before the game. But, I was the only keeper and I wasn't going to let my team down. I played and we lost 6-0. However, I played fairly well and all of the shots they scored on were good goals. That night at practice the coach asked some of the girls to come up with positive things that happened at the game. This girl, who was not known for giving encouragement, asked if she could single someone out. She said that I did a really good job and I had improved so much since last season. The rest of that practice I focused so hard and did my best (not to say that I don't usually do my best but I worked even harder than I normally do).
   When someone gives a work of encouragement to someone else that person is more likely to work harder and harder. Yes, it is important to take and give constructive criticism but encouragement is also vital.
   So, will you choose to find ways to encourage others? How can you encourage someone today?
   I suggest you check out this video down below to reinforce how important encouragement is.

   1 Thessalonians 5:11, Hebrews 10:23-25, Ephesians 4:29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqTGkUUA3YU 

No comments:

Post a Comment