Tuesday, January 1, 2019

The Light in Me: New Years Reflection

   Each year I challenge myself with something I need to work on spiritually. I don't view it as a New Years Resolution because many people don't keep those. I view it as a choice I make to grow in my walk with God. And, I don't just do it for a year I try to keep it up from then on. It's funny though, this year, my challenge changed. I started out trying to be more like a servant. But, then God made it clear that's not what he wanted me to focus on this year. I was trying to be a servant but more and more it became clear that I was to let my light shine for him (God's plan was different than my plan, go figure).
   You may be saying, "isn't that kind of the same thing?" Yes, it is in a way. But, letting your light shine means doing more. It means that when hard times come you praise God. When someone is in need you stop to help and praise God. When life is filled with so much darkness you can't see any light left, you praise God and let your light shine.
   I've been struck by how many songs talk about letting your light shine, even non-Christian songs. They helped me on my journey this year. "Come alive, come alive, Go and ride your light, Let it burn so bright, Reachin' up to the sky" (Come Alive, The Greatest Showman). When we first become Christians we are born again. We "Come Alive" with our new life. We are on fire for God. We want to tell others about him, learn about him, and serve him. Then, as time goes on we start to lose our fire, our light starts to dim, and we begin to go back to our old ways. 
   We forget that our "Lights shine bright everywhere we go" (Lights Shine Bright, TobyMac), even in hard places and times. We need to "Shine, Let it shine before all men, Let 'em see good works and then, Let 'em glorify the Lord" (Shine). The most important thing about letting your light shine is that your light isn't glorifying you. That's what we must remember when we think about putting our light out. It's about glorifying God. We can do this every day. When we go to work and are asked to do a mundane task we can do it to the best of our ability with enthusiasm. That's how people will see we are different. Then we can share our light with them and bring them out of darkness.
   It is not easy to always do this. I had a really hard year this year for different reasons. At times I am sure that my light was not that bright. The devil will try to snuff out our lights in any way he can. He knows what makes us tick. He then uses those things to try to turn us from God. When those times came up in my life I remembered to "Keep fighting the good fight (Never give up, never give up), Keep letting your light shine (Holding it high as long as you live)" (Good Fight, Unspoken). God is walking with me through all of the good and bad things I went through. I know these things happened for a reason. I may not know that reason yet but I am trusting in God.
   The Devil will not shut my light off because light is hope. I have hope in Jesus Christ. He is the way, the truth, and the life. He loves me. He gives me a chance to be a part of his story. I'd be crazy not to give others chances to find the light. I can share my light of Jesus with others. That's what I'm going to do. Because God, "let Your(his) love shine down, So that the world could see, You(he) put the light in me" (The Light In Me, Brandon Heath).
   So, have you been letting your light shine? What can you do to let your light shine even more?
   Matthew 5:16, 1 Corinthians 10:31, Revelation 4:11
   How to Let Your Light Shine blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment