Saturday, March 16, 2019

Ears to Listen


   I love to question things. I like to ask why things happen, how people are doing, and what peoples' favorite things are. One question I enjoy asking my friends is "why do you like me?" This may seem conceded, but I ask it so that I know what I need to continue doing in order to serve others to the best of my ability.
   As you can imagine I have gotten many different answers to that question. However, one has stuck out to me: "you like listening to others." I was confused at first because I didn't understand where she was coming from. Then she explained: "you would rather hear another person's voice than your own. You genuinely care about others and listen to how they are doing."
   After thinking about it for a little I realized it was true. I'd rather take a step back and help others than help myself. That's why I enjoy listening to others. You learn more by listening.
Think about it: the people who talk all the time do they know how you are feeling? Do they seem very knowledgeable about the world and people? I am sure some do, but do most? I have found that many times people who talk a lot don't think about what they say before they say it.
Take for example the prodigal son: he didn't think about the consequences of asking for his inheritance early. He was young and naive. He wasn't knowledgeable about the world around him. Because of that, he lost everything and went crawling back to his father. Is he a person you'd want to be around?
   What's the lesson here?  I think it is time we slow down our busy lives. We need to slow down and listen. We need to listen to family, friends, acquaintances, and children. Why should we do this? We must do it because it shows others that we care. You never know what someone is going through unless you ask and genuinely listen. You never learn more about the world and people unless you slow down and listen. You will never know more about God unless you stop and listen to him. We can listen by sitting in silence. We can listen by reading the Bible. We can listen by hearing pastor's preach. Just listen and you will gain more than you ever thought you could.
   So, do you think before you talk? Do you genuinely listen to others? What can you do to listen to others and God today?
   James 1:19, Proverbs 12:15, Proverbs 18:13
   Image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment