Sunday, March 17, 2019

Luck or a Miracle?

   Each week in my classroom the students have jobs. One job is to be the line leader. During my time as a Kindergarten teacher, I had a little boy be the line leader. I noticed he was walking a little slower than most other line leaders. I looked down and noticed that he was stepping on the individual tiles trying to avoid stepping on the cracks.
   I told him that he just needed to walk normal but then I started thinking about all of those old superstitions. I'm sure this boy was doing this just to have fun and wasn't thinking about superstitions but it still got me thinking about them.
   Why do we have superstitions? It is because we believe in luck. We think we can have good luck if we do certain things and bad luck if we do others. Is there such thing as luck?
   If you need money to buy water, because you are really thirsty, and someone gives you a dollar because you helped them out is that luck? If you find a wallet on the street and return it to the person it belongs to, then that person gives you a reward is that luck? I do not accredit that to luck. Some people may call those instances coincidence but I call them miracles.
   Are these miracles like making the lame walk? No, instead they are little everyday miracles. God is everywhere. He is in all instances and things. Why can't we call these miracles?
   Jesus said all it takes is faith the size of a mustard seed to move mountains (Mat.17.20). God is able to do anything, and with him nothing is impossible. If he wanted to, he could give us all the power to fly. I don't see that happening but I do see God at work every day.
   I see him in the friend who sends a text just as I need it. He's in the little ones who I teach when their eyes light up because they learned something new. And, he is at work in the hearts of those who we think are long gone (Paul). Those are what I call miracles, not luck. What do you call them?
   Proverbs 16:33, Romans 8:28-30, James 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment