Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Abiding with God: New Year's Blog


   As some of you know, each year I try to challenge myself with a spiritual resolution. This year I chose to challenge myself to spend more time with God. Many times we feel we are too busy. I know this year I was very busy with many different things. I could’ve used excuses and said “I’m too busy to spend time in the word.” But, each day I spent time with God. You could also say I was abiding with God each day. Abide isn’t a word that we tend to use much nowadays. The only time I have really heard the word abide used much is when someone says, “I cannot abide with that.” According to dictionary.com abide means: “to remain, continue, or stay.” I was remaining and staying with God all year.
   I chose this challenge because at the beginning of the year I read the verse John 15:4. The verse says: “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.” This verse is basically saying that we are like a branch. God is the vine. Without an attachment to the vine, the branch would not survive. The branch would not produce fruit. As Christians, we are called to produce fruit (Galatians 5:22-23). If we abide with God, then we will produce his fruit. We will grow in him and get to know him more.
   I learned a lot this year during the challenge. I had a few rough patches this year, and I am sure you did as well. However, this year when I went through these rough patches I knew the word better and I kept saying verses to myself. This helped me to get through tough times. Knowing the word made me feel like God was walking right beside me. I knew he was walking beside me in previous years; but knowing his word and abiding with him helped me feel closer to him.
   I encourage you, as 2019 ends and 2020 is here, to come up with your own spiritual challenge. If you don’t have one, then why not try spending time abiding with God? I promise you, you will learn a lot and you will grow in him.
   Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment