Saturday, September 26, 2015

Did David Really Trust God?

   The other day my dad was driving our van and he asked the question: “if David had faith then why did he grab more than one stone?” My dad was talking about when David fought Goliath David grabbed 5 smooth stones; when, of course, he would only need to use one. I thought about the question for a little and then remembered a story I had heard about.
   The story, basically, goes like this. A man was sitting in his home when he hears this flood warning come over the radio or tv (depending on who is telling the story). The man prays to God to save him. A little rubber boat comes by and the people in the boat call to the man in the house. They tell him to hop in the boat. The man says “no, I prayed and God will save me.” So the boat leaves. The water gets higher and the man in the house moves up to the second floor. A bigger boat comes by and the people in the boat tell the man in the house to hop in the boat. The man says “no, I have faith and I prayed so God will save me.” The boat leaves and the water gets higher. The man moves up onto the roof. A helicopter flies over and a man comes down on a ladder. The man tells the guy on the roof to climb up. The man on the roof says “I prayed and I know God will save me.” The helicopter leaves and the man who was in the house drowns. When the man gets to heaven he asks God “I prayed to you and had faith in you so why didn’t you save me?” God says “I sent you two boats and a helicopter to save you. You just did not hop in.”
   The reason I bring up this story is because there is a difference between having faith and being prepared. In this story the man had all the faith in the world; but he was not prepared to hop in the boat or the helicopter, he wasn't even prepared for a flood. Anyhow, he prayed which is great but then he chose not to accept the offers to be saved. The man had three chances to save himself, which God sent to him; but the man did not choose to be saved. This man was not prepared for the flood; and then when he did have the chance to be saved he choose to stay in his house and eventually drown.
   This is why it is important to be prepared. I mean, I could have all the faith in the world that God would help me pass a test. But, if I do not study for the test do you think I’m going to pass?
   So, David did have faith that God would help him defeat Goliath. But, David did not go into battle empty handed. He was prepared for battle by bringing his slingshot and stones. It is true that God didn’t need David’s help to defeat Goliath; but God wants us to be a part of His plan. We just have to have faith and be prepared for what God asks us to do.
   Challenge for this week: Be prepared for whatever God asks you to do; and have faith that God knows what he is doing.
   1 Samuel 17:40, 1 Corinthians 16:13, Matthew 24:44

No comments:

Post a Comment