Saturday, September 19, 2015

The Trust Fall

   For those of you who don’t know me that well I absolutely love asking random questions to people. One of my nicknames is entertainment center. Because, when there is silence or nothing to do, I tend to try and entertain people. One question I have taken to asking people is “if you had to do the trust fall with someone who would you do it with?” Typically, people answer with a family member. Then I ask if they would do it with anyone besides a family member. Normally the answer is no.
   When I started to ask this question it got me thinking about who I trust. I am a very cynical and pessimistic person; which I am working on, but that’s beside the point. I don’t think there are many people I would trust with my life. Maybe with secrets and how I’m feeling; but if I had to do a trust fall from a high distance I don’t think I would do that. What about you? Would you trust someone with your life?
   Believe it or not I have already trusted someone with my life: Jesus. It is scary to think about trusting someone you cannot see. But, up at Camp Yolijwa they have done this skit that shows this relationship between you and Jesus physically. It is a skit about doing a trust fall with Jesus. For those of you who haven’t seen it or want to see it again there is a link at the bottom of this blog (I think Camp does it way better, but that’s just my opinion).
   Basically, Jesus asks the woman “do you trust me?” Then when she answers he tells her to fall back. She does, reluctantly at first. Then Jesus catches her and the next time she falls back with more trust. Jesus then asks her to turn and face him. He asks her the same question and she says “yes, Jesus, I trust you.” Jesus then tells her to fall back. The woman refuses to fall back.
   I don’t know about you but I would definitely be a little less trusting that final time when no one is behind me. But, that is really what our relationship with Jesus is like. We cannot rely on anyone else to save us. We need to trust in him and him alone, even when it feels like he isn’t there. We need to believe that he is there for us no matter what.  If we lean on him with all of our problems we may not have easier lives, but we will have comfort and hope.
   Believe me; it isn’t easy to trust God all the time. I’m going through some things right now where I have a crazy schedule and so many expectations on me. I just don’t want to let anyone down. But, I know that everything happens for a reason. Even when I cannot see or know what that reason is, I know that God is watching over me and he will be with me through it all.
   So do you trust in God? Are you taking all of your burdens to him?
   Proverbs 3:5, Romans 8:28, Matthew 6:25
   Link to video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhnRvb-M-P4

No comments:

Post a Comment