Saturday, January 23, 2016

Funny Story Time! Misunderstandings

   So, if you are like me you’ve all had that week where nothing seems to go right. During those weeks I know that I just need to laugh. Normally, funny events or stories cheer me up, which leads me to this week’s post. I’m going to tell you a funny story.
   First I need to tell you a little bit of background. Last semester I had two night classes. One class had five students and the professor in it. I go straight from soccer to class. Being a goalie, I tend to get a little dirty because I dive so much. I also have knee issues so the trainer told me to ice my knees. My awesome friend agreed at the beginning of the semester to make me Ramen before class, if I give it to her, so I can eat that for dinner. Finally, that night in class we were evaluating curriculum books for science.
   Before class I had a little bit of time so I dropped my stuff off in the room; and then I went to the bathroom to clean the dirt off my arms. Then I went back to the room and started to eat my yummy blueberry muffin that another awesome professor gave me. My friend came in and gave me my Ramen noodles, but I totally forgot that I needed to grab a paper towel so that the heat would stay in the bowl. So, I made my trek back to the bathroom to grab a paper towel.
   When I got back to the room I put the paper towel on and continued to eat my muffin. Our professor came in and described our assignment with the curriculum books. Meanwhile I put the ice on my knee. As we were doing the assignment I went to switch the ice bag to my other knee; but I realized that the ice back was leaking and my jeans were all wet. So I got up quick and went to the bathroom to dispose of the ice. As I was leaving, my professor said “did you have an accident.” I said “no, the ice bag broke.” Which, she knew what happened but she still gave me a hard time in a joking way.
   I came back and continued to do the assignment. My professor said that she needed to go to the bathroom to clean something off her hands. She said that anyone else who needed to go could as well, in other words we were taking a break. I said, “I don’t want to go there again I’ve been there three times tonight.” My professor proceeded to say “it seems like Kaitlyn has had too much to drink.” I was like “no, it’s not that.” My professor said “oh, so it’s the other way.” Everyone cracked up laughing as I said “no.” Then I explained why I was to the bathroom three times already after practice. So, now we have an inside joke going that they will not let me forget about.
   Why am I telling you all this? Because, like most stories, there is a lesson in them. The main lesson in this is that we need to be careful what we say. As Christians, people are always watching us to see what we are saying and how we are acting. We cannot lead anyone astray by what we say and do. Whether we like it or not we live in a fish bowl. We are all leaders and role models.
   In this story I did not lead anyone astray by what I said; but people did misunderstand me. Misunderstandings are going to happen in life, but we need to make sure that we communicate with others; and admit it if we mess up. We also need to be understanding when misunderstandings occur. I mean, we are all human. We all make mistakes. Isn't it time we cut each other some slack?
   So the next time you are talking to someone make sure you mean what you actually say; and that you are communicating well with them. You also need to make sure that you are speaking what God would want you to say. Otherwise you just may end up having people think that you have bathroom issues ;)
   Matthew 5:33-37

No comments:

Post a Comment