Saturday, January 9, 2016

The "Force" Within

   With the new Star Wars out I had to do a post about Star Wars. Ever since I saw the movies, I had always thought about Star Wars and the force. I know that George Lucas says that Star Wars doesn’t have anything religious in it; but, just because he says that doesn’t mean it’s going to stop me from thinking that it does.
   If you don’t know, I’m all about finding the positives in movies; and connecting them to the Bible, God, etc. We may not like some of the things that go on in movies; but if we focus on the positives and the good lessons I think we will be able to connect with others in a more meaningful way.
   Anyhow if you think this post is going to be about the new movie, you’re wrong. This post is about the force. You didn’t think I was going to give you any spoilers from the movie did you? ;)
   Ever since I saw Star Wars I connected the Force to the Holy Spirit. One reason why I did that was because of the quote: “The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.” The Holy Spirit is all around us. It gives Christians their spiritual gifts, guides them, and comforts them in times of need. It is God’s advocate on earth. It is only through the Holy Spirit that we come to God. And, I don’t know about you, but I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit is with me and guides me.
   And, speaking of the Holy Spirit guiding, the Force does that too. “A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack” (Yoda). The Force guides beings in the galaxy. And, the Holy Spirit guides Christians. The Holy Spirit gives us knowledge. It helps us see what God would want us to do, which means we do not do anything against God. But, we don’t always follow God and the Holy Spirit, sometimes we sin against God. Luckily, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.
   I don’t know about you, but sometimes I feel like it would just be easier to sin; because it is a lot of work to not sin. This is the view that Darth Maul has: “Obi-Wan: ‘it takes strength to resist the dark side. Only the weak embrace it!’ Darth Maul: ‘it is more powerful than you know.’ Obi-Wan: ‘And those who oppose it are more powerful than you’ll ever be!’” It is very difficult for some beings to keep the dark side of the Force at bay in themselves. But, those who do are much more powerful than those who don’t. It is true that the Sith Lords always seem to have more troops, look cooler, and have better power. But, they are using the wrong kind of power. They are using anger, hate, deception, and greed. And, though they may look cool, do you think that looking cool and having power brings them happiness? No! I mean just look at Vader. That is why the Jedi, that is why Christians choose to follow the light side of the Force. It definitely isn’t easy at times; but we can feel the Holy Spirit with us, guiding us while we are here on earth.
   So, though you may not have the Force, can you feel the Holy Spirit at work in your life? Are you letting the Holy Spirit guide you? Have you ever felt like sinning but didn’t because of the Holy Spirit? Are you remembering to thank God for guiding you, comforting you, and giving you your spiritual gifts?
   1 Corinthians 6:19, John 14:26, Romans 8:26


No comments:

Post a Comment