Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving: Dare to Compare...

   So, it is that time of year again: Thanksgiving. A time where we go see family, watch football, and eat until we have to unbutton our pants. I am just joking about that last one :D kind of.
   Anyhow, around Thanksgiving what do we think about? I am betting that most of you said what we are thankful for. I do that as well; but it got me thinking about why we need to have one specific day to think about why we are thankful. That then led to me thinking about why we aren’t thankful for what we have most of the time.
   We could all blame different things for why we aren’t thankful: the American dream, we don’t have what we think we need, etc. But, I believe it all boils down to one thing: comparison. A while back I was driving home after night class and I saw a quote on a church sign. It said: “comparison is the thief of joy.” I got to thinking about that quote and I believe it is totally right.
   Think about it: when you were little and one of your friends got a really cool, new toy what did you automatically think. I’m betting you were thinking “I want that” or “my toy isn’t as cool as her new toy.” As humans, it is our automatic reaction to compare ourselves to others. We look at what possessions others have and want what they have. We watch commercials and see the latest thing that is so neat and we have to have it. We see the talents others have and we think “why don’t I have that?”
   I am guilty of this too and it is a difficult habit to break. In our culture people tell us we need to have this and we will be happy. People tell us we are not good enough. However, that is not what God says. He loves us and created us for a purpose. We all have our own unique gifts. Sometimes it is easy to forget that we are all different. There is no one like you, and there will never be anyone like you. We need to be thankful for the way God made us and grow in our relationship with Him. That means trusting Him to provide for our needs. He will give us whatever we need, if we trust Him.
   So, this Thanksgiving I encourage you to think about your life. Do you compare yourself to others too much? Are you comparing what you have to what others have?
   I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving. Remember to be thankful all year round.
   1 Timothy 6:6-8, Psalms 136:1-2, Hebrews 13:5

No comments:

Post a Comment