Saturday, December 8, 2018

Mary Did You Know?


   Imagine you were minding your own business, you know doing your chores during the day, and then suddenly you see a man in white. Then you realize it's not a man it's an angel. What would you do? That's the question I asked myself because I was visited by an angel one day. My name is Mary.
   Of course, you can imagine I was so frightened. It's not every day you have an angel come to you and say, "Greetings, to you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you" (Luke.1.28). I had no idea what this angel wanted with me. But he said, "Do not be afraid...You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus" (Luke.1.30-31). Needless to say I was shocked because I wasn't married yet. The angel reassured me that the Holy Spirit would be upon me and the child would be the son of God. Well, who was I to get in the way of God's plan? I am his servant after all.
   Now, I knew that soon I would start to show that I was pregnant so I went to see my cousin, Elizabeth. She was also with child and when she saw me she exclaimed that I was blessed for believing that I would have God's son. I was reassured and filled with joy that I was carrying God's son. I sang a song of praise to my Lord because he was bringing about his perfect plan.
   A while later I went home and told Joseph, my betrothed, everything that happened. He was amazed and frightened. He knew that I was pregnant, it was hard to miss. Joseph said he wanted to call off the marriage quietly. I was heartbroken. I wondered how this could be part of God's plan. Would I need to raise this child on my own? Many questions ran through my mind but I knew God's plan would come about. This child would be born one way or another and he would save us all. Joseph came back to me one day and said he was visited by an angel too. He said he wanted to go through with the wedding (Mat.1.18-25). I was relieved; I wouldn't have to go through this alone. For a time, I thought that we had gotten over our biggest mountain so to say. Boy, was I wrong.
   Caesar Augustus was the ruler of our land. He called for a census. Joseph told me we would have to travel to Bethlehem for it. I could see the worry in his eyes. I was very pregnant at the time. I was also scared but I knew this was part of God's plan. We packed up and left. The road was hard, and painful, but I just kept saying to myself that God's plan would come about.
   We reached Bethlehem and the place was packed! I could hardly step anywhere without accidentally bumping into someone. Then I realized that the baby was coming. You should have seen Joseph's face. He went running about from inn to inn looking for a place for me and the baby. But, there was not any space left. Finally, we found a small space meant for animals. Joseph said this is not the place for the son of God to be born. But, I said, "this baby is coming now!" I can't remember ever being in so much pain.
   Then, in one moment the pain stopped. I saw the child, the son of God, look up at me. He was so precious. His eyes were so loving and I thought I could see power in this child. I carefully wrapped him in cloth and I laid the son of God in a manger, no less.
   I watch the child with wonder. Then I looked up and saw some shepherds come to us. They told me that angels had told them to find a baby in a manger. That baby is Christ, the Lord. They bowed down and worshiped Jesus. I could hardly speak, much less comprehend why these things happened this way. The shepherds left and I could hear them praising God all the way. It was an amazing journey, that was just beginning.
   Did I know what would happen next? No, but I knew this child would do great things. I was just honored to be a small part of his story.
   Do you trust in God's plan when the road is hard? Do you believe that Christ did great things and God is still doing great things?
   Mary Did You Know-Pentatonix song.
   Image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment