Saturday, December 15, 2018

Such a Strange Way to Save the World


   I was so excited; my wedding day was coming up. Soon I would get to marry Mary. She was such a kind woman and she loved the Lord. I knew she would make a great wife. Then one day my thoughts about her changed. Who am I? I am a simple carpenter from Nazareth. I am Joseph.
   The day started out like most. I was working in my workshop. But, my thoughts were not on the project I was working on. They were on Mary. The next thing I knew Mary was walking through the door. I was so happy to see her. I dropped what I was doing and ran over to embrace her. But, this embrace was different. She was holding back; no, did she seem larger? How could she seem larger in such a short time? I looked down and saw that Mary was pregnant?! I had so many questions but none of them came out of my mouth. 
   Mary told me that the child came to her by the Holy Spirit and that he would be the son of God. I was speechless. I had so many thoughts running in my mind. Could Mary be lying? She was a godly woman. I never thought she would do something like this out of wedlock. But, if she was telling the truth then that meant that, if I married her, I would raise the son of God. Why would I be worthy enough to raise the son of God? I was just a simple carpenter. I knew nothing about raising a king, let alone the son of God. But, if I didn't marry Mary she would be ruined. I could divorce her quietly that way she wouldn't be punished. That seemed like the best option so I divorced her quietly then and there. She looked crushed but I couldn't raise God's son.
   I left and went into my home. The home I was to share with Mary. I couldn't stop thinking about her and what she said. Mary was definitely worthy to have the son of God. She loved God with all her heart. But, it was strange that God's son would be born to a common girl. I could not sleep I was thinking about this so much. Finally my body gave way and I fell asleep. While I was sleeping an angel came to me in a dream. He told me, "Do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife...She will give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus" (Mat.1.20-21). I woke up and realized I must do what God called me to do. I still didn't understand why God chose me; but who was I to question the will of God? I went to Mary and married her.
   Months went by and it was very close to the time for Mary to have the baby. Then we got the news that Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census would be taken. I really didn't want to to take Mary to Bethlehem, my family's home town, because it would be a hard journey. But, we knew that this must be part of God's plan. We packed up and headed to Bethlehem. The journey was rough, especially on Mary. I tried to make it as easy as I could for her. 
   We finally made it to Bethlehem and it was so crowded. I kept Mary with me as we tried to find an inn. Mary looked at me and told me it was time for the baby to come. I panicked. We had to find a place for her to have the baby. I ran from inn to inn but each time we got the same answer. There wasn't any room. We came to a place for animals that wasn't very crowded. It smelled horrible. I couldn't let the son of God be born there. I told Mary I would keep looking. She grabbed my cloak before I could run off and said the baby was coming now. I didn't like it, but she laid down and gave birth to the son of God there.
   When I first saw the baby I was in awe. He was so tiny. How could the son of God come like this? Then I touched his finger and he looked at me. It felt like he was looking into my very soul. I gave Mary the baby and she held him so gently. Then she wrapped him in cloth and laid him in the manger. I heard a noise as Mary was looking at the baby and stood ready to defend us. Shepherds walked in. They said they were told by angels that the Lord would be laying in a manger tonight. They bowed to the child then left praising God (Luke.2.1-20).
   Mary was quiet for a long time after that. I knew she was thinking about everything that happened. I was thinking about that too. It was all so strange. I never would have expected God to come as a baby in a manger. I also promised myself that I would take care of this child as best I could. Little did I know how many dangers were to come.
   So, do you ever feel unworthy to do something God calls you to do? Do you ever feel like you don't deserve God's grace? What can you do to encourage others who may feel unworthy?
   Such a Strange Way to Save the World video.
   Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment