Saturday, December 22, 2018

The Shepherd's Praise

   The day started out like any other day. I was out in the field watching my flock. Of course, I had to defend them from a wolf that day, which was a little odd. Also, many people were in town for the census that Caesar called for. I was just thankful that I didn’t have to go anywhere because my family was from Bethlehem. However, a change of scenery may have been nice. It gets a little boring when all you do is watch sheep all day. Hi, I’m a shepherd.
   Now, before you go running off because I smell so bad and because I have a very underappreciated job hear me out. As I said, the day started out like any other. My shepherd friends and I were out watching the sheep. The sun had gone down a while ago and I was about to lay down for a nap while the other shepherds watched the flock. I had just shut my eyes when a bright light flashed. I thought one of my friends was playing a joke. Then I saw their faces. They looked frightened.
   I looked up in the sky and I saw why they were frightened. There was an angel of the Lord there. I fell on my face and covered my eyes. We had no idea why the angel was there. I wasn’t sure if we did something wrong. It had been so long since anyone wanted to talk to us, let alone an angel of the Lord. Then the angel said “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger” (Luke.2.10-12). I was a tad overwhelmed. The Savior was a baby? And, he was in Bethlehem? I didn’t have long to be overwhelmed by that because suddenly there was a great company of angels praising God. Needless to say my friends and I stood there for a while after the angels had left with our mouths open.
   More questions came to my head. Why was the savior here? Why hadn’t anyone heard about it? Why were we the ones to hear about it? I shook these thoughts from my head. Why did those questions matter? They didn’t, all that mattered was that we had to find this baby. We left our flock, which is a big no, no for shepherds if you didn’t guess. But, it’s not every day you are told by angels that the savior was born. We searched the busy streets of Bethlehem. We had a good idea that he would not be in an inn because the angels told us that he was in a manger.
   Finally, one of my friends found him. He was in a place meant for animals. His father stood to make sure we meant him no harm, I assume. His mother was leaning over the manger. But, once I saw the baby I couldn’t take my eyes off him. This was the savior? I looked at him and he seemed to smile at me. I wondered what that baby was thinking. What would his future hold? Then I suddenly got the urge to do something I never do. I knew I had to tell everyone about what happened here tonight. I was usually very quiet because I was a shepherd and no one wanted to hear what a shepherd had to say. However, we shepherds were told about this child for a reason. The savior was here. We ran through the streets praising God and telling others that the savior had come. After a while we went back to our flocks.
   That night was so magical. I knew that God had great plans for this child. And, maybe he told us about it because that baby came to save us too. I realized that night that God cares for me. I think that’s why I risked losing everything to gain so much more. And, I’m glad I did.
   So, if God asked you to drop everything and do something, would you do it? Do you believe that God sent Jesus to save you?
   Image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment