Sunday, May 8, 2016

Happy NOT Mother's Day

   Okay, so at this point you are probably thinking I am crazy, that my parents did not raise me right, or that I am about to get punished by my parents (even though I am 22). Stay with me on this, I promise I do have a point.
   When I was a kid I used to think it was not fair. It was not fair that there was a day to celebrate moms but not one to celebrate kids. I mean, why did my mom get free ice cream? Why was everyone thanking her for what she does? I did plenty around the house and I did not even get a thank you. But, as I grew I realized something that helped change my opinion about Mother’s Day.
   You ever feel underdemeciated? Oh, sorry that’s a reference to Bedtime Stories. I mean, do you ever feel unappreciated? You may feel like you never get thanked, that you are taken for granted, or that no one ever notices what you do. I know I have felt that way. But, I know someone who has felt that way even more than I have in my lifetime: my mom.
   Think about everything your mom does, or did, for you. She makes food, goes to work, cleans the whole house, does the laundry, takes you to your random activities, does grocery shopping, fixes your boo-boos, listens to your problems, and so much more. Everyday mothers everywhere make a constant decision to put someone else’s’ needs above their own. And do you think that a lot of mothers get thanked for doing all that stuff? No, they probably do not.
   I am now able to understand why exactly there is a day to celebrate mothers. Moms are probably the most unappreciated people on earth. Most of the mothers I know definitely follow the Greatest Commandment (love God and love others). It is amazing to look around and see so many women who are great role models for me; as I am studying to be a teacher, and I will have a lot of children to take care of then. But, the point of this blog’s title is that moms should not be celebrated one day a year. They should be celebrated every day during the year.
   So, have you thanked your mom lately? Do you thank her throughout the year for all she does/did for you?
   Proverbs 31 & Matthew 22:36-40
   P.S. I realize that there is a holiday called Children's Day, but who really celebrates children on Children's Day? I know my family does not. And, yes it is nice that there is one specific day to celebrate moms; but the point is that mothers should be celebrated every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment