Saturday, May 28, 2016

Christians Vs. Non-Believers

   Awhile back some of you may remember a Facebook post that went around called “God, Why Did You Let So Much Stuff Happen?” It basically talks about a person who seems to be having a bad day. Then the person has a conversation with Jesus. The person asks why certain things happened throughout the day; and Jesus tells him that everything happened for a reason.
   Well, after reading the conversation I looked it up on the internet to see what other people were saying. One blog talked about a continuation of the conversation someone came up with. That conversation basically questioned everything that happened; and why God did what he did. It makes God seem like he is stupid.
   Believe it or not, that’s not even what concerned me the most. The most concerning thing for me were the comments below. Most people agreed with the continuation of the conversation. I got really ticked when I started to read some of the comments. In fact, though I don’t post much on the internet other than my blog, I thought about writing a comment; but then I thought about what that would’ve done. Would it have made someone come to Christ if I would have argued with them? Probably not, if anything it would have made them resent Christ and Christians more.
   Honestly, I think that sometimes Christians think the best way to approach unbelievers is to argue with them. I’m not saying we cannot discuss things with them or answer their questions. But, if we argue with them we are just making them resent Christ more. That’s not following the great commission.
   I think, rather than arguing with people, we need to get to know them. We need to be friends with them first; and then, when they are comfortable, they can ask us questions about our faith. Then we can answer questions in a calm manner, and not a heated argument.
   I’m not saying this is the only way to fulfill the great commission; but I feel, in the American culture, it is one of the most effective. I don’t know about you, but I’m more willing to listen to people I trust and know rather than those I do not. And, if we are friends with people first they can see our example and wonder what is different about us.
   So, are you arguing with unbelievers? Are you trying to make an impact on others? Are you fulfilling the great commission?
   Matthew 28:18-20, 2 Timothy 2:23-24, Proverbs 15:1
   Link to blog with both conversations:

No comments:

Post a Comment