Saturday, May 14, 2016

The Character of Love

   A while back I was talking with someone and they said that I just don’t seem that loving. I honestly didn’t understand it. I always try to practice what I preach. Time and time again in my blog I have said that the Greatest Commandment is to love God and the second is to love others. I wouldn’t talk about loving others if I didn’t believe it or do it myself.
   This conversation got me thinking about how much I have done for this person and other people. It is true that I could love others more at times; but I still try to love others. I began to think about this so much that I talked with a friend who knew me well. I told her what happened and she said “you are the opposite of unloving. I don’t understand where that person got that idea.” Even though my friend said that, I still kept thinking about that accusation. Then all at once it hit me.
   I am not a person who likes being in the spotlight. Sure every once in a while I like praise; but I’m not a person who begs for it. That week I had also done a lesson on character traits. I told the kids character is who you are not what you do. It may show in what you do but character is an adjective. Another thing we talked about is that character is who you are when no one is looking.
   With all that in mind, I looked back at what I had done lately to show my love for others. Most of what I had done was out of the spotlight. I did things like send an anonymous card, picked up trash someone dropped, got a ball for someone that was far away from them, and said words of encouragement. See to me love can be seen in actions. But, that doesn’t mean people always need to see you doing those actions.
   I want to give God the glory. God doesn’t always get the glory if people see what you have done. Normally, people praise you if they see what you do. I had never thought about how I love others before. Yes, I try to use the love languages but typically I do things in the background. I do it in hopes that God will get the praise because he deserves it. He has given us so much and he deserves the praise.
   Now, I’m not just tooting my own horn here. I do mess up at times. I am selfish and I don’t love others. I am selfish and I want the praise. I don’t always give God the glory. But, I pray that I will grow in my relationship with God. That way I will be secure in him rather than others, I will not worry about my selfish desires, and I will give God all the glory.
   So are you loving others? Are you trying to get praise from others? Are you giving God the glory?
   Luke 6:31, Colossians 3:12-15, 1 Corinthians 10:31

No comments:

Post a Comment