Sunday, July 9, 2023

Judgement


   You are not a judge. Even if you are a real judge in the justice system you are not The Judge. Can anyone tell me why people find it so interesting to randomly look at people and judge them? I mean, what does it do for you? In the long run, you will ruin your reputation with others, make your friends wonder if you do the same to them, and waste your own time. How does this help you? How does this help others?
   I am sick and tired of going to places and hearing people gossip about others. I understand that some people people-watch for fun. It’s one thing to look at someone and wonder what they are up to; it’s another thing to look at someone and judge them based off of their appearance.
   I get that we all have first impressions, that’s not what I am talking about here. I am talking about when I walk into a store and I hear a group of people saying things about me. They aren’t anything nice either, most of the time it is exploiting my body or my clothing. Then after I hear them do that I begin to think different things. I think about what I can do to change the things wrong with me (and yes, I know I’m not perfect). I think about what I can say to tell those kids off. Mostly, I think about how I just want to get out of there as soon as possible (When Insecurities Come Up Blog).
   Then, after I leave I start to hear voices in my head. They say things like, “why can’t you work out more?” “Why can’t you keep your hair under control?” “Why don’t you try to wear nicer clothes?” (The TickingTime Bomb Blog). That’s when I go back and forth with those voices. I say, “why does it matter what I wear?” “Why do I care what those kids think?” “This is just the Devil trying to get me to look down on myself. God loves me just the way I am.” You know, the typical I know the right answers but it’s hard thing (When You Know the Answers Blog).
   When I was younger this process to get to the point where I ended this roller coaster thinking took a long time, days even. Now, I am better at shutting this down. That’s not to say I shut it down by my own power, in fact I don’t do it on my own. God has given me God-Confidence. He loves me for who I am. He knows my thoughts, actions, insecurities, talents, etc. and loves me. I have known that for a long time but thinking about certain things and verses have helped me.
   1 John 3:1 says: “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.” I am a child of God. He made me in his image, as he made you in his image. He cared enough about you and me to adopt us into his family. He knows we are quirky and sometimes annoying but he loves us. He loves you in spite of all your imperfections. He’s our great father who will help us through tough times we just have to choose to see that he is there helping us.
   Philippians 4:6 says: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” I used to have pretty bad anxiety so this verse is very near and dear to my heart. I would overthink so much that I couldn’t sleep and couldn’t eat. I didn’t want to mess up. I didn’t want to be thought of as strange or weird. I didn’t want to let anyone down. I kept thinking I wasn’t good enough. Then I realized that I am always good enough for God. But, there’s more to it than that. I have a relationship with him. I can talk with him about my worries and needs. He will be with me no matter what.
   Galatians 2:20 says: “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Finally, I remember that God gave himself for me. If the worst thing in the world happens to me, God is there. He showed his love for me by dying in order to have a relationship with me. It doesn’t matter if someone says I stink because the creator of everything loves me.
   Now, one last thing before my rant is over: we need to watch what we say about others. If you wouldn’t say it to a person’s face you shouldn’t say it at all. Words can hurt. In the end being mean and judging someone will not get you very far (unless you are a judge on a show, but most of us won’t get there). Instead of using our words to tear others down, why can’t we build others up? We are called to show God’s love to others. I think we need to give others compliments instead of criticism. Criticism does have a place if it is constructive (Galatians 6:1-2). But, many times we focus too much on the negative and not enough on the positive (A Story About Stones Wallsand Bridges Blog).
   So, do you have a tendency to judge others too much? When you are judged will you remember God loves you and will walk through that hard time with you? What can you do to encourage someone today?
   Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment